Andrew is starting to interact with other kids. And it just almost makes me cry every time he tries to be friends, it is just so sweet.
We went to The Playground yesterday (remember that totally awesome indoor kids place near me...yea, I know you're jealous). Anyway, we've been going almost every Thursday because there's almost no one there in the mornings. Yesterday, this little boy kept following Andrew around, trying to take toys from him, and just generally pestering Andrew. I'm sitting way over on the edge of the room, so Andrew can fend for himself. I figure it's my way of making up for him not going to school yet. :) Oh, and it's much easier to do my crossword puzzles if I'm sitting down.
Anyway, Andrew finally starts talking to this kid. I can hear him point me out, saying emphatically, "That's Mommy. That's MY MOMMY." The boy, named Nate, looks over at me. When the boy doesn't ignore him or run away, Andrew feels he has gotten the green light. He just started jabbering away about the trains he was playing with and the cars with the ramp and the ball pit way up in the playground equipment. Nate suggests they go up to the ball pit together. And Andrew practically jumps up and yells, "YEA! LET'S GO!!!".
Now, I was really proud of him for socializing normally and all, but the ball pit is up in the top of a playland-type thing. As in, it requires climbing. As is, Andrew has never done this without my help. But I sit back and wait to see if he can do it. By this time, I've found Nate's nanny and we are watching the boys together. Andrew gets to the first level to climb up, and he just can't pull himself up. He looks across the room at me, and then asks Nate for help. And Nate grabbed his hand and gave Andrew enough leverage to get up. So sweet! I find out Nate is 3 1/2, so the perfect person for Andrew to follow around.
They get up to the ball pit without me, and then Nate wants to try and climb up another set of levels to get to the high slide. This time, neither one can get up the first level. So nanny and I watch as first Andrew pushes on Nate's back, then Nate tries to push Andrew. SO DARN CUTE!!! As they realize this just isn't going to happen, they kind of go different ways on the playground equipment. The cars are calling to Andrew, and the work bench is calling to Nate. We were there for about 90 more minutes, and I swear to God, they never interacted again. Toddler friendship is very fleeting, apparently.
Oh, and another cute Andrew story. I had Bunco last night, so the boys were on their own. So this story is one Jeff passed along to me when I got home. I'll translate in parentheses.
Andrew was playing cars in front of the TV (which probably means Jeff had ESPN on...and I wonder why Dad's are always the favorite parent). Andrew turns to Jeff and saying "I want a banana" (Dad has forgotten to feed Andrew). Before Jeff can get up, Andrew is headed towards the kitchen saying "I'll get it" (Dad was tuned into ESPN and didn't hear Andrew's request, so didn't offer to get it himself). But as he went up the step, he turned back and said earnestly to Jeff, "Be right back, Daddy". He wanted to make sure and reassure Jeff that he wouldn't be gone long. Jeff melted! And then had to get up to get Andrew a banana, because there's no way Andrew can reach them.
I've got to go now and clean my house. My neighborhood playgroup is at my house today. I'm expecting 9 kids and their mom's...and it is stressful because they are all different ages, unlike my Mom's club playgroup. Wish me luck!!!
Friday, January 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Giselle,
I am so very jealous about The Playground. I wish they would franchise in Dayton. I hope play group went well. I can't host at my house because our spaz of a dog likes to bowl with toddlers. We can manage one or two kids with him, more than that and he goes into some kind of manic frenzy. But I can always point to him if my floor isn't clean, so we'll keep him around for that.
-Kelsey
Post a Comment