Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Stats

All I ever hear about Andrew is how big he is. So I was a little surprised yesterday at the doctor's office.

Weight: 33lbs 9oz (95%)
Height: 351/2" (75%)

Huh? 75% in height. Okay, but he is by far the tallest kid his age...at least in my playgroup. Maybe there is some community in North Dakota with gigantic 2 year olds that is skewing the numbers. Maybe it was an inaccurate measurement since Andrew was scrunching his neck to look at what the nurse was doing while she was trying to measure him. But I don't care. It doesn't matter to me what it says in his chart, or how tall he is. I want the weight accurate for perscriptions. What does it matter how tall he is?

Except that ALL I HEAR IS HOW TALL HE IS. So it's kind of annoying that there is nothing to back up all those people. I wonder what people with a kid in the 95th% percentile hear. Hmmm.

Then I went to Andrew's art class. I am friendly with one of the mom's, and she has a little boy just a week older than Andrew. She was telling me about Aiden's doctor's appointment, and how the doctor commented on how tall he was, that he was in the 95th percentile for height, and how they may have a very tall teenager, etc etc. Apparently, he measured at 37 1/2" tall. Hmmmm, very interesting, since as we're talking, we both notice HOW MUCH TALLER ANDREW IS THAN AIDAN. How could my doctor's office be 2 inches off? Or her office for that matter?

But it doesn't matter, right? I've got to try and squirm out of my first-time-mommy need-accurate-stats mode. He's healthy, and that's all that matters.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I'll tell you what the mondo people in North Dakota (why that state?) hear--

There was a "little" girl that came in the other day-- and I thought she had learning disabilities. She looked 5 years old-- and I found out she was 3!

Anonymous said...

Giselle - the nurse that took our stats was so blase about it, I guess it must not be that important anymore. Of course, to us Mommies it is like being at the height/weight award ceremonies!! :)

Mia - 37 inches and 33.5 pounds (yes, she is off of the charts!)
Dominic - 35.5 inches and 27 pounds

And yes, I get comments ALL of the time about how big they are. My favorite is: "Are they really twins? She is so much bigger." No, DH and I had sex while I was still in the hospital, so they are only 9 months apart....DUH?!?!