Monday, September 05, 2005

Entertaining the grandparents

What a performer! Andrew loves to have an audience, and there is no better audience than his grandma and grandpa. We are here visiting them for Labor Day weekend, and Andrew is in HEAVEN. Plus the fact, Grandma is a garage-sale-oholic, so this house is chock full of new toys for Andrew. It all started off well, when Grandma greeted him with a giant Nemo stuffed animal. He carried it around with him for the entire first day. He has new puzzles, a big school bus, and the old FP people sets (pre-battery era-I love it!)

I can hear him right now hitting the ball off the tee with a bat. Sound dangerous? It only is if he's running after the ball. He definitely gets his fine-tuned balance from his mother :) Anyway, after playing tee ball for about 3 hours, he now knows "Put ball on tee" and "two hands on bat" and "Hooooray! A-ew did it" when he hits the ball successfully. He is going to be such a sports fanatic.

We also watched the OSU game on Saturday (by "we" I mean everyone except for me). Andrew already likes to watch football better than me (he probably understands the game better as well). Anyway, there was a tackle or fumble or something bad for OSU. Andrew cheers, and I thought Linda's head was going to spin around on her neck. You could almost see her talking in her head "he's only 2...don't scold him...he can't know what he's just said". Then she quietly told him that that was the wrong team to cheer for. Ah yes...spreading the crazies to the next generation. What was I doing while the OSU game was on. Reading a book (shameful, I know-it's amazing I was allowed to take the family name when I married in).

And finally, we went to church with the grandparents, and taught Andrew once again that church is bad. He was left in the nursury with lots of fun toys and very nice people. I kind of thought he'd be fine. Oops. After the hour service, I went back to get him and he was sitting on a lady's lap, crying. Based on the puffy eyes, runny nose, and splotchy face, I'd guess he'd been crying almost the whole time. He took one look at me and started crying hysterically "All done, mama, All done". Why does church always have to be so traumatic?

Later today, we'll make the treck back to Kentucky. All in all, a successful, enjoyable, gorgeous weekend (I don't think the weather could be more perfect). I LOVE living near family!

No comments: