I am slowly learning how to "talk Philly". I was just starting to fit a few "Y'alls" into my vernacular, and now I have to start all over learning how to fit in verbally.
Here's my first Philly sentence: "I'd like wudder with my steak".
That can be interpreted as: "I'd like water with my Philly cheesesteak".
Yup...wudder. Wudderfalls, icewudder, sparkling wudder. I'm sorry, but that sounds dumber to me than any southern twang ever did.
Oh, and once again it is "soda" not "pop". We had a debate on my dorm floor freshman year about whether carbonated beverages were soda or pop. Now that I have lived on the west coast, the "south" (kind of), and the east coast, I have to admit that it is soda. Sorry Mid-westerners...but we're outnumbered. Not that it means I'm changing. I've already got a little 3 year old who calls it "pop". We may not live in Ohio, but gosh darn it, we're going to cling to the few distinctive phrases we've got! But I'll now admit that it is not the "normal" word. At least it's better than those freaks down south that call everything "Coke". Because that makes sense (no offense to the few rogue southerners that read this...but seriously? That's like calling all types of cereal Cheerios. "Yes, I'll have cornflakes Cheerios please". )
Monday, December 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Haha, I know it's established that I'm weird... but in highschool I would say "coke"... (sprite was white coke). But whenever I haven't said coke, it's always been soda. I can't figure out why!!
I call everything coke too. I also WARSH my hair and the dishes.
Post a Comment