Friday, October 20, 2006

My babies...

Ah, the joys of two children. I'm sure you're all curious how my Andrew is dealing with his new baby sister. So far...so good. Of course, I have yet to spend an entire day alone with the two of them, so he hasn't really had much competition to get his needs met.

When we first came home, he was really spacey...wandering around the house, randomly destroying things. Then we discovered that he was also suffering from constipation. A suppository later, and we found him to be a much more pleasant housemate. It's amazing how a good poop can make everything seem better :)

Then a few days after she was born, he came up to me and said, "I hate Lily. She doesn't pay attention to me". Ah, yes, Prince Andrew. It must be hard to meet someone who doesn't dote on your every word and gesture. I assured him that if he just gave her some time, she would adore him like the rest of the world. Sure enough, she has been awake more and more, and he LOVES her when she is awake. And she really does like to watch him already.

He refers to her as "his baby" and knows that she is "for our family to keep". He now includes her when "reading". As in, picking up a magazine, and tracing the words with his finger saying, "Mommy, this says Andrew loves Mommy, Daddy, and Lily". Sweetheart. This morning we went to a birthday party for one of the neighbors. Whenever Lily got passed to a new person, Andrew was right there, informing the woman that "That is Lily. She's my baby". Very protective and possessive of little Lily. He makes sure to introduce her to EVERYONE that he meets. That's his job.

So he's doing well. In a little over a week we will leave our house forever. That will probably shake up his little system more than Lily. But he proves to me again and again that he is resiliant and amazing...I'm sure he'll do better than me :)







2 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for the update Giselle! Sounds like Andrew is a natural big brother, if there is such a thing.

Good luck with the move. You just have to SURVIVE the first month, and the new house & new city WILL get easier to live in. I will be thinking about you!

Andrea said...

So sweet!
Ryan loves his "baby girl" a ton for now. I imagine that will change the day she first grabs his toys. Although he loves to hand them to her now (as in, I leave the room for 2 minutes and come back to Rachel covered in little people!)