Thursday, August 18, 2005

T-R-A-I-N

Andrew and I have a little morning routine. Which is apparently going to change after today.

See, I like to talk. Not working has left a void in my day...no one to have a conversation with. So since day 1, poor Andrew has had to listen to me jabber away at him. Every morning, we have a nice long discussion about what is on the agenda for the day...a kind of morning meeting if you will. For example:

"Alright Andrew! Today we have an exciting day ahead of us. First you are going to spread some breakfast into your hair and eyebrows. Then we'll spend a while chisling that out. Doesn't that sound like fun?"
"Gurgle, goo goo"
"Great! Next we'll..."

You get the idea?

Anyway, this morning I had begun the morning meeting as usual with Andrew. I mentioned that if it rained today we should do something fun, like go to the store that has the model trains. Oops. Andrew hears the word "train" and goes bananas. He runs to the garage door, opens it (yikes), and yells "Yes, Choo choo, go now!" What his little 20 month old brain cannot comprehend, however, is that it is only 7:15 am!!! Although our day is moving right along, most stores can't seem to convince their minimum-wage employees to show up before 10am. So I tell him we have to wait for the store to open. And...commence temper tantrum.

Oh how the 2 year old behavior is looming. Andrew stood by the garage door (which I locked with a key so he couldn't open it again) and SOBBED. Hiccupped. Threw himself on the floor. You would think I had just informed him that Santa died, or Shadow is living with another family, or, his worst nightmare, all the grape vines in the world have stopped producing.

So from now on, our little morning meetings will be different. Until Andrew learns how to spell, that is.

No comments: