Many months ago, I posted a picture of Andrew's new big boy bed. I believe he even posed in it. I also believe that was the last time he willingly climbed into the thing.
This was it. Tuesday I decided we were just going to bite the bullet and switch cold turkey into the big boy bed. I thought about taking the rails off his crib and getting him used to being in a bed without rails before going to the twin bed. But then I remembered the milk drama, and I am trying to learn from my parenting mistakes. (for those of you who can't remember...Andrew wouldn't switch from formula to milk at a year old. So I started warming the milk to help ease the transition. Then I just had another struggle to go to cold milk a year later.) I refused to work through 2 transitions when it could just be one.
I thought I'd have lots of stories...sad and cute...about this transition. This is a MY CRIB boy. Won't sleep unless it's in a full sized crib.
First nap was a nightmare. Crying and screaming and such drama. I was dreading nighttime.
AND....
it went fine. No tears getting in. Just hours of playing before falling asleep. Wednesday's nap was about a 30 minutes struggle to get him to stay in his room. Last night...piece of cake. This afternoon, he literally asked to get into his big boy bed and was asleep in 15 minutes.
Holy crappola. That was too easy.
The only downside of the transition is that he is really tired during the day...he's playing too much and waking too early. I'm sure that will go away as he gets more used to sleeping in the big bed. But that tiredness does lead to many many tantrums. Yesterday morning, he refused to enter the kitchen. He said he was hungry, but refused to cross the threshold to the kitchen. Literally would put one foot in the room, then throw himself to the floor crying and yelling, "I can't do it. I don't want to do it". Okay, so my wood floor is looking like carpet it's been so long since I swept. He's 2. He shouldn't mind. Luckily, my child has the speaking ability of a 4 year old, so I have the rare opportunity to enter the mind of a 2 year old. When asked what is wrong, he literally says "We need new chairs". Huh? I tell him he can sit at whichever kitchen chair he likes, and he says, "No, need NEW chairs", and continues to lie on the floor crying.
Okay...
Anyway, it's just gone so smoothly. Jeff and I are in total and complete shock. And we go in to check on him like we used to when he was a month old. He just looks so cute sleeping in that big bed!
And this experience just raises the topic in our house once again... If we got so lucky the first time, what kind of demon-spawn am I growing in my belly?
PS. Felt my first flutters tonight!!! Now comes the fun part of pregnancy!
Thursday, April 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nice job with the transition. We still haven't been able to get Calum to sleep a night on his back in his crib. He sleeps in his bouncer seat in the crib, and the kid is four months old! I keep telling myself "whatever works..." but eventually we are going to have to face a transition ourselves and I'm dreading it.
Post a Comment